Buy this and your school gets $2.32 to spend on books
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Winner of the CILIP Amnesty Honour 2017. Shortlisted for the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize and the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2017.
Perfect for fans of THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS. This is a beautiful, vivid and deeply moving story about a refugee boy who has spent his entire life living in a detention centre. This novel reminds us all of the importance of freedom, hope, and the power of a story to speak for anyone who’s ever struggled to find a safe home.
’...a special book’ – Morris Gleitzman, author of the acclaimed ONCE series
Born in a refugee camp, all Subhi knows of the world is that he’s at least 19 fence diamonds high, the nice Jackets never stay long, and at night he dreams that the sea finds its way to his tent, bringing with it unusual treasures. And one day it brings him Jimmie.
Carrying a notebook that she’s unable to read and wearing a sparrow made out of bone around her neck – both talismans of her family’s past and the mother she’s lost – Jimmie strikes up an unlikely friendship with Subhi beyond the fence.
As he reads aloud the tale of how Jimmie’s family came to be, both children discover the importance of their own stories in writing their futures.
January 5th, 2017
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 4.9; Upper years; 8.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Pigeon English
- How to Look for a Lost Dog
A Monster Calls (Non-Illustrated Edition)
Queen Victoria: Her Great Empire
- Discover the Tudors: Henry VIII
- Who Let the Gods Out? #3: Beyond the Odyssey
- Historic Places of the United Kingdom: Prehistoric Sites
The Lie Tree
- Daily Life in Ancient Rome
Barrington Stoke Fiction: Home Ground
3booksPie Corbett's Independent Reading Packs: Year 2 Fairy Tales Pack x 3
Welcome to Nowhere
- Ace of Spades
- Poems from the Second World War
The Star Outside My Window
Letters from the Lighthouse
- Why Do We Remember? Remembrance Day
- Mythology Around the World: Egyptian Myths
- Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
4booksBali Rai: Soccer Squad Pack x 4
- Mythology Around the World: Roman Myths
- Newspapers from History: Stone Age Tablet
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder
- Why Do We Remember? Neil Armstrong and the Moon Landings
The Kite Rider
The Bubble Boy
Murder Most Unladylike #1: Murder Most Unladylike
- Britain in the Past: The Stone Age
- Planet Omar #2: Unexpected Super Spy
Clap When You Land