Buy this and your school gets $2.32 to spend on books
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Dame Floella Benjamin’s classic childhood memoir, Coming to England, includes a foreword by the author and some additional historical information. It is beautifully illustrated by Michael Frith.
Floella Benjamin was just a young girl when she, her sister and two brothers arrived in England in 1960 to join their parents, whom they had not seen for fifteen months. They had left the island paradise of Trinidad to make a new home in London – part of a whole generation of West Indians who were encouraged to move to Britain and help rebuild the country after the Second World War.
Reunited with her mother, Floella was too overwhelmed at first to care about the cold weather and the noise and dirt from the traffic. But, as her new life began, she was shocked and distressed by the rejection she experienced. She soon realized that the only way to survive was to work twice as hard and be twice as good as anyone else.
This inspirational story is a powerful reminder that courage and determination can overcome adversity.
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Pig-Heart Boy
6copiesThe Midnight Fox x 6
6copiesThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe x 6
6copiesPugs of the Frozen North x 6
6copiesHow to Train Your Dragon x 6
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
The Midnight Fox
6copiesHoles x 6
Pugs of the Frozen North
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
- Young, Gifted and Black
4booksMindful Me Pack x4
- Popcorn ELT Primary Readers Level 2: Kung Fu Panda (Book only)
- Secondary ELT Readers Starter Level - Level 1: Malala (Book only)
- When Stars Are Scattered
- Grandad Mandela
10booksBritish Asian Authors New Titles Pack
- Secondary ELT Readers Level 2: Muhammad Ali (Book Only)
- A Life Story: Katherine Johnson
How to Train Your Dragon #1: How to Train Your Dragon
6booksElizabeth Laird Pack x6
- The Undefeated
- What Does It Mean to Be British?
- Caribbean Dozen
- A Pocketful of Stars
- Rising Stars: New Young Voices in Poetry
- Secondary ELT Readers Starter Level - Level 1: Pelé (Book only)
- Stories for South Asian Super Girls
3booksSome Kids... Pack x 3
6copiesThe Story of the Windrush x 6