The Smeds and Smoos Early Reader
Book of the Month
Buy this and your school gets $1.51 to spend on books
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Soar into space with this glorious love story of alien folk, from the creators of The Gruffalo and Stick Man, now in an early reader format to support children who are gaining confidence in reading. The Smeds (who are red) never mix with the Smoos (who are blue). So when a young Smed and Smoo fall in love, their families strongly disapprove. But peace is restored and love conquers all in this happiest of love stories. There’s even a gorgeous purple baby to celebrate!
- This Early Reader edition contains the complete classic story and pictures, in a pocket-book format, and with an extra-clear font and layout, to support children who are gaining confidence in reading.
- Winner at the British Book Awards 2020 – Children’s Illustrated & Non-Fiction Book of the Year
- With fabulous rhymes and breathtaking illustrations, this book is literally out of this world!
- From the creators of The Gruffalo, Stick Man and ZOG , which have all been made into animated films shown on BBC1
- Zog and the Flying Doctors animation will be shown on BBC1 December 2020.
Praise for The Smeds and the Smoos:‘A book for our time.’BBC Radio 4‘Blast off with the most exciting book yet from the creator of The Gruffalo. Get ready for a wild and wonderful journey through space in a book that is perfect for reading together.’The Sun‘The Gruffalo team’s own Jabberwocky, with rhyme and nonsense words but a happy ending, inventively illustrated by Scheffler.’The Times‘A timely tale of tolerance that’s fun to read aloud.’Daily Express
Our September 2021 Ages 5-6 Book of the Month
This wonderful tale tells the story of two aliens, a red Smed and a blue Smoo, and conveys an important message about tolerance, avoiding preconceptions, understanding differences and building positive relationships. This edition has been specially reformatted with a child-friendly reading font to encourage fledgling readers to cut their reading teeth. I’ve chosen this as my pick of the month as it is my favourite Julia story, and one that feels especially timely and relevant and has themes of empathy, kindness, acceptance and celebrating difference. More importantly, it’s a great rhyming read that will kick-start a positive and enjoyable reading habit.
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Read & Respond: Poppy Field
6copiesPoppy Field x 6
We're Going to Find the Monster!
When Cucumber Lost His Cool (PB)
- Read & Respond: George's Marvellous Medicine
- Read & Respond: The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
- Sophie's Stories
- The Pigeon HAS to Go to School!
Teeny Weeny Genie
Whale Who Wanted More
- Read & Respond: The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch
- Read & Respond: The Iron Man
The Legend of Kevin
8booksBusy People Pack x 8
- Read & Respond: The Hodgeheg
The Smartest Giant in Town
- Lift-the-Flap Questions & Answers How Does it Work?
- Tiger Warrior: Attack of the Dragon King
- Can we really help the Polar Bears?
On the Way Home
- DK Findout! Animals
- The Amazing Edie Eckhart
- Ten Minutes to Bed: Little Dragon
- The Secret Forest
12booksEssential Contemporary Year 1 Pack
- DK Findout! Earth
- The Day the Banana Went Bad
- RHS: Explore Nature: Things to Do Outdoors All Year Round